My name is Taz (aka Colmes) & I Survived Hurricane Katrina!

Posted in Uncategorized at 10:24 am by lsstlar

Kruger Family
Hi there! My name is Taz. You’re probably wondering which one am I in the picture. Well I am the brindle & white one being held by our dad Scott. The other gray dog being held by our brother Dylan is named Turbo (aka Toto). Don’t we look like a perfect family! There is a wonderful story behind this picture and I would like to share it with you.

We must go back about 3 years to Louisiana. That is where I used to live. It was 3 years ago this past month that forever changed my life as well as many others. I think everyone who reads this story will know what I’m talking about when I mention “Hurricane Katrina.” Yes, I was a victim of that horrible storm that destroyed many lives. I thought it was going to destroy mine! See, I was abandoned during that storm and left to fend for myself. I don’t guess my first family cared enough for me to get me out of there. Instead I had to face that monster of a storm all by myself, lonely, scared, starving and in pain! I had a broken leg so I was in a lot of pain. I can’t remember how I broke it but it must have been during that storm. That whole night was a blur. I was found by the local SPCA and they took me in and gave me food, water and shelter. I was then taken in by Lonestar Shih Tzu & Lhasa Apso Rescue in Houston and given a name. My name was Colmes.

Colmes2- before
I was seen by the vet and given all the proper care and had my leg all fixed up and FINALLY I was told that I would be put into a foster home. I kind of wondered what that was since I never really had a real home. I overheard a lady named Teresa talk to another lady on the phone about me. I guess she was trying to find me that foster home. I heard her tell the person on the phone that I was a sweet, small Lhasa. I was starting to wonder if she was talking about me since I didn’t think I was very small. Sure enough the lady she called came and picked me up to take me to her home, my new foster home. My foster mom is named Sherry and when we first met, well, I’m embarrassed to say that I didn’t make a good first impression on her. I don’t know if I was nervous or what I was thinking, but I took a potty break at her feet. I could tell she was not too pleased with me and I thought for sure she wouldn’t take me home with her. I was surprised that she still did.

Since I was still healing from my broken leg I had to be put in a crate most of the time except on potty breaks. I didn’t care for that too much. I would try to get my foster mom’s attention by barking non stop. I could tell that irritated her but I couldn’t help it. I wanted her attention and I wanted out! I didn’t know it at the time that being put in the crate was for my own good & safety. I continued to bark at her all day long and then one day from nowhere I was being hit with a squirt of water. I couldn’t figure this out. I would bark, then I would get squirted with water. Every single time this would happen. It was so strange and I did not like being squirted with water more than being in that crate so I learned quickly not to bark because when I barked, this mystery squirt of water came out of nowhere!

Colmes Before

After my leg got better, I was let out of the crate but again, I started to act out without even knowing it. I would run around the house like I was racing the Indy 500! I thought it was fun buy my foster mom wasn’t too thrilled with my behavior. She said I didn’t have any manners and that I needed to be taught some. I knew nothing of being house trained or having manners. I didn’t realize I was even being bad. I could tell my foster mom wasn’t too pleased with me. I started to think to myself that I better straighten up and listen to everything she says or I will be a goner. So that is what I did. It took some time for me to understand how to be a good boy but in time, I became a good boy and my foster mom started to show me all kinds of love. Finally, I figured it all out and was able to progress from there. I didn’t have as many accidents, I stopped treating the entire house like a race track and I stopped barking for no reason. I even make my mom laugh now instead of getting upset. She laughs at me when I do run around because I’m a bit of a klutz and trip over my own legs sometimes! I love to see her smile. I really got attached to my foster dad. He would always love on me and play with me. He nicknamed me Moose since I was so big and sturdy. I started to really feel like part of the family as much as I loved my foster home, I longed for my forever home.

In the months I was with Sherry, there were a few people interested in adopting me but I always somehow became the runner up. I started to think no one would want a big ol’ klutz like me. One day Sherry asked me if I wanted to go on a little ride to visit with some people. I was excited about this and so we went to visit with the Krugers. I did not know we were visiting a possible forever family for me or I wouldn’t have done what I did. Yes, I had an accident on their dining room floor as soon as I walked into their house. I don’t know what I was thinking! I had been such a good boy up to that point. Maybe it was nerves or a new environment but whatever it was, it was not a good first impression…again. I thought to myself, I blew it because they seemed like such a nice family and they had a son that loved to play with me. Oh well, I thought to myself. It was all my fault and hopefully I would do better next time.

Well, surprisingly there was not a next time. The Krugers called up Sherry and despite the “present” I left them, they wanted me anyways! I was so happy and so thrilled. I was with Sherry for only 3 months before going to my forever home. What was more exciting was at the same time the Krugers adopted me, they also adopted Turbo. He was also a Lonestar dog. He was from Dallas originally and fostered by Teresa. His name under foster care was Toto but the Krugers gave us both new names. I’ became Taz and Toto became Turbo. Me and Turbo have something in common. That is we were both “difficult” dogs. Turbo had problems with aggression and possessiveness of his toys and food. He didn’t like me coming near his toys or food and it made me nervous when he would snap at me. I just wanted to be his friend. I didn’t think me and Turbo would ever get along but it took some time and a lot of patience, love and training from mom and dad. 2-1/2 years later we finally get along just fine and now we are one happy family.

Something else exciting just happened too. Mom and dad have decided to take in yet another Lonestar dog but this time, they will be fostering not adopting. I just love new playmates so I hope he likes me.

Colmes in foster home
Sometimes I think back to the day after Katrina hit and I wonder what would have become of me if I was not picked up. That awful storm ruined so many lives but ironically it saved mine.

1 Comment »

  1. marjorie farrell said,

    July 19, 2009 at 2:17 pm

    what a beautiful story, i also adopted a katrina rescue a
    harrier hound and went from pa to harrisburg to get him what a loveable dog he is and has a brother a shih-tzu
    so i know how you must feel for this beautiful dog and the home he was brought into good luck with him

Leave a Comment