10.11.06

Meet Bubba Turner

Posted in Uncategorized at 12:18 pm by Administrator

Bubba had been a devoted pet to a family for 13 years.  After deciding that they no longer wanted to care for him, they took him to their family vet to have him euthanized.  The vet, knowing what a great little dog Bubba was, asked the family to release him to him and in turn he contacted our group to see if we could take him in.  Kudo’s to that vet – Bubba is a terrific little guy and a joy to have as a foster.
He’s adapted so well to his new surroundings.  He has good potty manners, is crate trained and walks nicely on a leash – not very far, but he does like to get out and go for short walks a few times a day.  He does get a bit stressed if he’s in the backyard and loses his bearings so he’ll bark until you rescue him and point him in the right direction – no problem, he’s a sweetie!  He doesn’t bother the cat and he’s not bothered by the other dogs like he was in the beginning.  Just like everyone else, he has his favorite spots and that’s where he tends to hang out – a favorite rug on the kitchen floor and a cozy pillow by the window.
Bubba is deaf and does have dry eye in both eyes – requires eyedrops twice a day and he’s a perfect gentleman when he’s being tended to.
Ole Bubba, though is a notorious beggar – you can see from his picture that he definitely had never gone hungry.  We’re working on the weight issue and he seems to be doing ok – we’re limiting treats and have restructured his diet so slowly but surely we should be starting to see some progress.

Just one more thing about Bubba – he has such a unique personality and I think he’ll steal your heart as soon as you meet him!  There’s just something about him that makes a person smile!

A poem for the older ones…
One by one they pass my cage,
Too old, too worn, too broken, no way.
Way past his prime he can’t run and play,
Then they shake their heads slowly and go on their way.
A little old man, arthritic and sore,
It seems I am not wanted anymore.
I once had a home, I once had a bed,
A place that was warm, and where I was fed.
Now my muzzle is grey, and my eyes slowly fail,
Who wants a dog so old and so frail?
My family decided I didn’t belong,
I got in their way, my attitude was wrong.
Whatever excuse they made in their head
Can’t justify how they left me for dead.
Now I sit in this cage, where day after day,
The younger dogs get adopted away.
When I had almost come to the end of my rope,
You saw my face and I finally had hope.
You saw thru the grey, and the legs bent with age,
And felt I still had life beyond the cage.
You took me home, gave me food and a bed,
And shared your own pillow with my poor tired head.
We snuggle and play, and you talk to me low,
You love me so dearly and want me to know.
I may have lived most of my life with another,
But you outshine them with a love so much stronger.
I promise to return all the love I can give,
To You, my dear person, as long as I live.
I may be with you for a week or for years,
We will share many smiles, you will no doubt shed tears.
And when the time comes that God deems I must leave,
I know you will cry and your heart will grieve.
And when I arrive at the Bridge, all brand new,
My thoughts and my heart will still be with you.
And I will brag to all who will hear,
Of the person who made my last days so dear.

While Bubba is in our program, he needs normal veterinary care and meds.  He’s looking for five wonderful people, who may not be able to adopt him in person, but who wants to do a “virtual” adoption and support his medical needs.  He needs around $100 a month, on average, for shots, meds, etc.  His five “virtual adopters” need only subscribe to contribute $20 a month to his fund.  That will keep him pretty much ok while he is in our program – which may be the rest of his life.  If you are interested in “virtual adoption” of Bubba Turner, and want to contribute by credit card via Paypal, please GO HERE.  If you’d rather send Bubba a check, CLICK HERE.

To date, Bubba Turner has 0 virtual adopters.

Be SURE to click on the “comments” link below to see Bubba’s Diary.  His foster mom posts every few days!!

10 Comments »

1. Administrator said,

October 12, 2006 at 2:49 pm

A little on the blind side (requires drops twice a day), a little on the deaf side, a little on the chunky side but the sweetest older little guy you’d ever want to meet. Previous owners of 13 years just didn’t want him anymore – cannot even think of a reason why – thank goodness that their vet contacted our group. He’ll be the perfect companion for the right family.

Jean

2. Regina Day said,

October 17, 2006 at 12:27 pm

I’ve noticed a little spring in Bubba’s step lately – he’s just so happy when he sees a familiar face that he “skips” or “hops” – whatever it is, he’s so much more lively – this little “fatboy” is quite a character. Ya just have to smile when ya see him – anyone out there willing to take a peek at him!

3. Regina Day said,

October 21, 2006 at 11:19 am

If you’ve ever thought about adopting/fostering a dog who has limited eyesight and is also deaf and thought “I just can’t do that” – believe me, you can. Even though Bubba doesn’t have 20/20 vision, he can still see, better out of his left eye than his right – you look and learn and compensate. On the other hand, the upside of having a dog that doesn’t hear well is that he doesn’t go nutso when the doorbell rings, you have no problem when you vacuum and when/if ever he gets scolded, he just looks at you with those big ole eyes like you’re telling him love stories – and ya have to smile!

4. Regina Day said,

October 27, 2006 at 4:11 pm

Bubba is a gem! He’s starting to socialize with the other dogs – that’s such a big step for him. AND last night while I was sitting on the couch he starting prancing around and barking “let me up there too.” His personality just shines!

5. Regina Day said,

November 20, 2006 at 10:17 pm

Just a quick note to let everyone out there know that Bubba is doing just fine. He’s firmly secured his place on the couch and in our hearts. He is just such a good little old guy – with a personality as big as he is. It’s gonna be hard to get him to shed some weight though – he really can’t walk too far or too long but he likes to try – he even manages to run (romp) a bit in the back yard.

6. Regina Day said,

December 5, 2006 at 12:08 pm

Mr. Bubba has become quite vocal lately – as long as he’s awake, he needs to know your whereabouts – all ya have to do is let him see you and give him a quick pat on the head and then he’s happy and generally dozes off again. I do think he leans a bit more towards men cause when Andy gets home from work, Bubba knows when he comes into the house and he (Bubba, not Andy) starts prancing around and wanting a bit of his attention. He just follows him everywhere. He does have to rely a bit more on his sense of smell than on anything else and he always walks around with his head held high – his nose in the air – he looks so cute while he’s taking in all the smells/scents that he possibly can!

7. Regina Day said,

December 11, 2006 at 11:20 am

What a joy this little furball is to have around. He was so quiet when he first came into our home but he has adapted quite well. He’s not as shy around the other dogs – he even joins in in the group playtime – even if it’s only for a few minutes to sniff around his foster brothers and sisters or a couple of shakes of a toy – even though it’s only for a bit, he has such a good time being part of the crowd. He really enjoys the cooler weather too – puts a little zip in his step and that’s good since we’re still struggling with our weight problem. He is getting much better though at not begging around the table – taking his cue from the other dogs. His eyes are looking good but he still and always will require drops twice a day and he’s really good about being still to get them in. If you’ve ever thought about adopting a senior dog, please do – they’re an absolute joy to have in the home.

8. Regina Day said,

February 9, 2007 at 11:34 am

This little ole guy is a character. Since he’s missing a couple of bottom front teeth, when he sleeps, his little tongue sticks out. Even though he is partially blind and totally deaf, Bubba has the most keenest sense of smell – and that attributes to his only slightly annoying flaw – he smells food, sticks his nose up in the air as if he’s following the smell and then he BARKS until he finds his way to the kitchen. He eventually calms down but initially, he’s so excited about “food” – his previous owners must have fed him tidbits just to keep him quiet – that’s where his weight problem stems from. Since he is 13 (14 this year), he’s not about to go out and run a marathon but we do try and get him out to walk around the yard a few times a day, which hopefully helps to at least get him a bit of exercise. He really is a cutie though and just touches everyone’s heart that comes in contact with him!

9. Regina Day said,

February 17, 2007 at 11:11 am

Bubba has been with us for approx. 6 months – the change in him from the first day he came into our home and today is full circle. He started off as a very shy, skittish, quiet ole guy and has now settled into a daily routine that rarely changes and one where he’s most comfortable. We feel totally blessed, especially since he lived all his life with one family before LoneStar and the fact that he is partially blind and totally deaf. He does have one teeney, quircky little habit that might drive someone crazy but if you love someone enough – what’s one teeney, quircky little habit???? He has the keenest sense of smell of any dog I’ve ever had – when he smells food or even senses someone is thinking about cooking meals – he barks – this must be where his problem with the lbs. has come from – I believe that his previous owners just tossed him tidbits (or handfuls) just to keep him quiet. He is such a beggar barker – don’t know if we’ll ever have it under control or if he’ll ever figure out that it just doesn’t work that way around here – but it’s something that we’re working with him on – like I said, it’s his only weak point – he really is the most lovable, little old guy you’ll ever meet!

10. Regina Day said,

March 27, 2007 at 2:00 pm

Bubba (like Peach) just returned from the groomer with his new, summer cut! Handsome, handsome, handsome ole guy and he even looks a lb. or 2 slimmer without his longer coat. He just loves everything about going for short, slow walks – it’s a joy to watch him explore new things. I think that he’s very glad that winter is over and spring is here!