10.10.06

Meet Bernie – adorable elderly lhasa boy

Posted in Uncategorized at 9:26 am by Administrator

Bernie is a 11 year old sweetie, turned over to animal control by his family when the kids went to college after he had been their guard dog and companion all his life. He was not too well cared for ate only scraps, was overweight has a cataract on one eye along with a bad heart murmur. Bernie is a joy to have around, just wants to be near you, LOVES to go for walks and does not ask for much. He has been with us for close to two years and is not adopted yet. I guess his heart murmur is too much for someone to deal with. Yes it is hard to loose a dog you adopt, but please think of the dogs and how thrilled they are to have someone love them. Please don’t over look Bernie or any of the other forever fosters, they still have love to give.

Here’s Bernie’s intro:

Hi my new name is Bernie, I like that I got a brand new name for a brand new life!  My last place I lived I stayed outside all the time and they called me their “watchdog”, what is that?  Now I am living inside with some nice people and a few other dogs.  I can even go anywhere I want in the house and when I got scared of the loud noises outside I was picked up and cuddled.  Not sure what cuddling is, but I do like it. I guess my left eye has a cataract in it and I probably don’t see much from it, but my other one is fine.  I only ate people scraps in my last home so I hear I am a little “chubby” that sounds good to me, but my foster mom says she is working on my figure, UPDATE I lost the weight and look great now!!!!  I am a very sweet, easy going guy that has lived with kids and I like all the other dogs in my new house.  The cats upstairs I like too, but they don’t like my curiosity as much, UPDATE the cats and I have an agreement now and get along fine, until they run and sure I will chase if they want me to.  Playing tag is FUN! My potty training is going very well, I weigh about 17 pounds which is great.  I am supposed to be 9, but I act much younger.  Do you need a new  playmate??  Can I come live with you?  I won’t be any trouble, I promise.   Please, please???

We don’t know why people cannot open their hearts to these elderly abandoned dogs, but Bernie has had no inquiries at all to be adopted.  So, he can hang around here with us for the rest of his life, if no one else wants him.

Bernie only needs around $100 a month, for his vet visits and meds while he is in our program.  He is looking for five people to subscribe to donate only $20 a month for him.  If you are interested in being one of him sponsors while he remains in our program, you can subscribe via paypal HERE or if you would rather send a check, you can do it HERE.

At this time, Bernie has 0 sponsors.

Please click on the “comment” link below to see new posts by Bernie’s foster mom and others.

11 Comments »

1. Bernie's foster mom said,

December 7, 2006 at 6:29 pm

A sad update on Bernie. He has been coughing for almost two weeks now so we went in on Monday to see the vet. Not good news. They did blood work which was great for a dog his age with a heart murmur and long term use of diurectics. The x-rays are another story. Turns out Bernie has a tumor on his heart very near the aorta, along with right side heart failure. The right side of his heart is very large and not pumping well. Poor Bernie does not have long to feel good. We will keep him as comfortable as we can until he looks at me with that goofy grin and one big eye to say he has had enough. I love him and will be there with him till he leaves me. I know someday we will meet again and look forward to seeing him with two good eyes, no heart problems and all the love he has given us while we have had him. Please keep Bernie in your thoughts. As a foster mom I thank all of you that continue to contribute to the forever fosters we have since they deserve love and care too.
    Sincerely,
    Bernie’s foster mom

2. Cat Martindale said,

December 18, 2006 at 5:07 pm

Dear Bernie,

Today I signed up to be one of your sponsors, before I read the comments. I’ll be praying even harder for you now.

Hugs to you,

Cat

3. Bernie's foster mom said,

December 18, 2006 at 9:56 pm

Cat,
    Thank you for helping me out as one of my sponsors. I will continue to be on my heart meds till I tell my foster mom it is time for me to go run and play again. It is great to have someone help out with those monthly expenses even if I am pretty sick.
    Bernie is doing very well considering what he is up against. I do see a slight change in him the last 24 hours that he is a little more agitated which probably means he is having some trouble breathing. I have promised him he will not suffer. He deserves much better than to ever be in pain or to be scared when he tries to breath. Bernie and I both thank you for the good wishes and sponsorship.
    Bernie’s foster mom,
    Julie

4. Cat Martindale said,

December 19, 2006 at 7:36 pm

Julie,

Please give Bernie a hug from me and one for each of my Lhasa boys, Chachacha and Chugger. Our hearts and prayers are with you.

We love you Bernie!

5. Bernie's foster mom said,

December 24, 2006 at 1:44 pm

Bernie is enjoying having his foster mom’s twin toddler grandsons in the house. He was raised with kids so he knows how to be kind to them and play. He is a little less active every few days, but hangs in there.
    thank you for checking on him again and hugs have been given.

6. Cat Martindale said,

January 1, 2007 at 12:45 pm

Happy New Year Bernie!

We hope that 2007 brings you joy and peace. We hope you had fun playing with your cousins during the holidays.

Love,

Chachacha, Chugger and Cat

7. Bernie's foster mom said,

January 7, 2007 at 9:04 am

The holidays are over the “stuff” is out of the way, all gates are down so we can play. I miss my cousins but who is to say if I will see them again some day. My mom and dad have more time to play and give me lots of love each day. I sound like a poet…..I am doing very well and not declining much. Of course my mom jumps every time I start to cough but I am fine, really I am.
    Bernie is doing great considering what he has growing on his heart. His body mass is changing slightly, but he is not in any distress at this time. I watch him so carefully as I will not let him have a problem breathing. The vets say it is hardest with this tumor when they can not catch a breath and they panic. He will not have to worry. I watch him like a hawk. He is too sweet a guy to be in any pain or panic.
    Thank you to all that continue to watch his wonderful life.
    Bernie’s foster mom,
    Julie

8. Bernie's foster mom said,

January 18, 2007 at 12:42 pm

Bernie is still doing well. The only new issue is a little nausea, but it is not too bad. He is still eating fine, breathing easily and just having good Bernie days. The cold weather is not his favorite, but the fireplace is!! Bernie continues to be very clingy and stays with one of us as much as possible and loves Tigger to curl up with him to sleep. He is a great guy. Please don’t forget Bernie still needs daily meds for his heart murmur, cough from the the cancer and lasix for the fluid buildup. Thank you for visiting.
    Bernie and his foster mom

9. Cat Martindale said,

January 25, 2007 at 8:57 pm

Hi,

I’ve een traveling alot for work and just wanted to take a moment and check in on Bernie. How is he? A progress report would be greatly appreciated, so sorry that I have not been in touch sooner!

Take care,

Cat

10. Cat Martindale said,

January 26, 2007 at 10:05 pm

Thanks for the update on Bernie!

I’m so glad that he’s hanging in there! I’m off again traveling this upcoming week, but was glad to receive a progress report on Bernie. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Take care and know that the Martindale family think of you everyday!

All of our love,

Cat, Chachacha and Chugger

11. Cat Martindale said,

February 25, 2007 at 12:25 pm

Hi,

Just a note to say hi and see how Bernie’s feeling these days. I’m home this next week and it’s just nice not to be in a hotel room, plus my boys miss me when they’re with the petsitter and the contractor’s that are remodling my house! Please give Bernie a hug from me!

Cat